Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Boston Strong



Well, tomorrow is the day. I board my JetBlue plane and head to Boston! I will reunite with old friends, and certainly connect with people I have met through the Inter-webs for formal introductions, high-fives, and laughs. I couldn't be more excited to begin my journey as I "Chase the Unicorn". As I sit here less than 24 hours to my departure, I can't help but feel various types of emotions many of which are VERY new and raw.

First, I am excited...in fact I am beyond excited. I am thrilled. I was given the opportunity to run the Boston Marathon as a charity runner. I blew past my charity minimum fundraising requirement, and am currently the number 1 fundraiser on my team...with the shortest amount of time to raise funds. So in addition to excitement, I am proud. I am proud to be able to call myself a Boston Marathon participant. Although I am not a qualifying participant...I'll just be frank (we are all friends here), I raised my funds, I raised awareness, I earned my place on that start line. One day I'll be fast enough to earn my BQ shirt, but this year isn't that year, and that is okay.

I am anxious. I don't know what my emotions are going to be on race day. I feel like my spirit is just going to be full of all the emotions and I may just explode into tears upon seeing the Citgo sign in Boston.

There is one thing I am not. I am not afraid. I need you to follow me here.

Last night, some idiot decided it would be funny to place full backpacks on Boylston Street near our finish line. It was also the 1 year anniversary of the tragic events of 2013. Whatever this moron was thinking, he caused a great deal of concern which made this national news. Boston PD SWAT teams and bomb squads were on scene and detonated the bags as a precaution. The suspect was taken into custody.

I REFUSE to be afraid at this race or any other! I will not be scared away or detoured from my goal. First and foremost, the Boston Athletic Association has been wokring with law enforcement and security agencies for MONTHS. Athletes have received almost weekly emails providing us with updates, information, and regulations for race weekend. When I tell you that the BAA has this under control...believe me.

The Boston Marathon is OUR race. Many runners were robbed of the opportunity to finish this race last year, and others have had their moments tarnished by selfish acts of domestic terrorism. Honey, I am NOT here for it. We are runners! We are tenacious. We are strong. Give me a break we run damn near 30 miles for fun in crazy weather conditions! We aren't invisible and we are human but our resolve is solid. When you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us...36,000 of us to be exact. And we have every intention of showing Boston who we are, what we are about, and to remind the world that this community will not be shaken or destroyed. We are here to stay! I know it's hard, but don't worry about us. We will all watch out for one another. We will all support one another. We will all encourage one another to be strong and cross that finish line reclaiming it not only for the running community but for the city of Boston.

Don't worry about me. Encourage and support me. We can do no more than run our races and be there for one another. I'll be alert and careful but no need for concern. We Are Boston. We got this! Love y'all! Let's boogie!

3 comments:

  1. Love this!! One thing though...when you mess with us, you mess with ALL of us, not just the 36,000 runners. And this is one B-you-know-what, that you do NOT want to be messin' with, lol! Best of luck Linz - I know you'll make yourself, and all of us runners, BQ-fast or not, uber proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That means the world! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! :)

    http://cmcdot.blogspot.com/2014/04/liebster-award.html

    Hopefully you enjoy answering the 10 random questions, just like I did :)

    ReplyDelete