Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Be Better Than You Were Yesterday


As I begin to settle back into being my normal goofy self, that means I can get back into providing some inspirational tea to all of you...I know some of you have been missing it. So, I generated this quote graphic earlier in the week. It is inspired by a few things. One being I got the chance to see Jill Scott perform last week and that is always a treat because she is all about story telling and inspiring. Secondly, remembering quotes from two of my faves Oprah and the late Dr. Maya Angelou about forgiveness and the power of words. Thirdly, applying those thoughts to my everyday life. Running isn't what I do day in and day out. Hot damn how I wish it were. Running is a part of my life. It is something that has embraced me and given me so much, so much that I can't repay it. The best way I can repay the gift is to pay it forward. Isn't that how much of life should operate. We want to be faster, more consistent, and stronger athletes right? What I am going to write about will help keep you focused in your everyday life and will translate into running.

At the end of the day, the only thing I want (and what I enjoy seeing in others) is to be a better person than I was the day before. What does that mean? I'm glad you asked.

Now I know I am not the first person to have said this and I know I won't be the last. My interpretation goes something like this. Life is all about change and growth. Every day your interactions with others and your personal thought help to shape what type of person you are. Energy is neither lost or destroyed, it is transferred from one party to the next. Energy between people works the same way, it is no different than electricity. It's science, kids. Anyway, with every interaction or energized thought/action it usually leaves behind a crumb of influence...think of it as an Internet cookie. Some are subtle, while others are giant Mrs. Fields cookie cake size. At the end of the day is it up to you what you do with these crumbs.

Some crumbs are stale, yucky, and unwanted. Think of these as harmful energy and not-so-pleasant interactions. I am staying away from using the word "negative" because sometimes in negativity comes a positive result. For the crumbs that are in the way of you achieving what you want, remove them. File them away as a memory and a lesson and continue to move forward. Don't waste time and energy on situations you can not change or fix. You can't save the world...so don't try. You can have influence to spark which will hopefully create change. But keep this in mind, just because you think something should be a specific color doesn't always make you right. Yes, that's a metaphor.

Now good interactions and good crumbs. Keep those. They are typically endearing, things that make you smile, and bring you authentic happiness. You want to collect these and keep them. You also want to share them. A cookie (especially an Oreo double stuff'd) is no good when you can't share the love. You want to uplift and share these interactions and this energy with the world. When you surround yourself with people that are happy and positive...this energy exchange brings amazing results. Don't be afraid of it.

In closing, be aware of the your energy and the energy in your space. Protect the happy crumbs and share them with the world. Acknowledge, then file away harmful crumbs and move forward bringing joy to those around you. Share happiness with those who may not be. You never know who you can influence. You may not be able to change the world at large, but you may be able to create a change in someone's world.  Be better than you were yesterday. Don't carry grudges and drama into your new day.  No one is promised another day so use each day wisely. Stay blessed my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, one of my favorite quotes is "that's the way the cookie crumbles." Great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete